Saturday, January 2, 2010

In the beginning...



I have started to gather information and archive material for the first interactive I phone tour for the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. I am working under Lise Swenson (videographer/producer) and the department of education at the de Young Museum.. The tour's theme will be " Artists' representation's of the de Young." Some of the artists that will be featured will be Andy Goldsworthy, Gerhard Richter, James Turrell and Kiki Smith.

The tour consists of hours of media, HD film, images, interviews, commissioned music pieces. I hope to be able to walk everyone who reads this blog through the difficulties, successes and process. I feel like we are created a piece of art in a sense. I guess this is my own dream of being an "artist" in my own right. But, I believe that this will change how you interact with art in our world.

You will now be able to learn more than you ever were able to at a museum. This will enhance people's experience, those who choose to follow the tour (and those who have I Phones). This is the beginning of transforming museum culture that includes you. Imagine that, a museum for the people? Ironic, isn't it? Maybe it is the beginning of tearing down some of the fear and anxiety of standing in front of piece of canvas and just saying "I could do that" or "I don't understand why this is here?" You will be able to answer your own questions. There will never be enough docents or enough people who desire to educate the public in a museum, but this is the beginning to answer some of your questions.

This is only the beginning, the few owners of the I Phone. One day, I imagine people walking around museums with the I Slate (the yet un-released name of the new Mac touch-screen computer) taking self-guided, docent-led tours all with technology to enhance their experience. This isn't replacing knowledge or human interaction, it is a tool. It is a tool that will need to be checked and balanced along the way, but it is exciting no less.





Sidenote: Two of my above links are biographies provided by ART 21 on PBS. I just found it through Netflix and it is fantastic. They are hour long episodes that feature 3-5 artists in the 21st Century. It is a great tool to catch up on contemporary art, if you are so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment